This was my favorite picture of you and Jordan....
Aunt Barb's journal for today.
August 14th, 2009
Thoughts on the way to Lehi, Utah:
* Jordan has people there to be with, Shelley has people here to be with. Heavenly FAther planned for us to have families, so we could help each other on both sides of the veil. Though they are not together, they are not alone.
* Mason, asleep when it came time to sing at the funeral. He was planning to sing: " My Heavenly Father loves me." We got to hear him sing that at our recent Family Reunion...he knew every word, didn't want to let go of the mike when it was over. Shelley shared today: Jordan sang Primary songs to him every night before he went to bed....5 or 6...or as many as he wanted. No wonder he knew that song!
* Prayer in my heart: that Shel would feel comforted. strong. loved. uplifted. directed. encircled in the arms of His love. (I believe my prayer was answered for her today.)
At funeral: Beautiful display of pictures, Jordan kissing Shelley on their wedding day, Jordan holding Mason. Jordan holding Chantel. Jordan holding Landon. Jordan with his dad and brother. Jordan doing things he loved. Jordan smiling. Celebrating Jordan Mingo.
Things I learned about Jordan Mingo today:
- Jordan was a "great" daddy and family member....and as Andy Coats said: "My parents were GLAD I had Jordan as a friend. He was a leader and his influence "for good" was felt by many.
- Perfectionist. While working with Andy Coats on a wood project, Andy cut a piece of wood and asked him if it was okay...he smiled and said..."Sharpen your pencil, Andy." :)
I got the feeling that he expected the best in himself and others, however, He was very kind and un-judgmental with everyone.
- Jordan had already become "famous" in his work. He had 798 contacts on his e mail list. Many of them job related. He knew how to work and was in demand. He had what it took to succeed!
He was ambitious and a hard worker.
- Jord had a good relationship with his parents. When he went home to visit, he would say: "What can I do to help you, Dad."
- Shelley said: "I know he loves me. He proved it by the way he took care of me. Recently, he worked till 4:00 in the morning, doing my "honey-do" list." She added, “Jordan never got tired.”
- Shelley and Jordan's love for each other was deep and pure. Beginning in high school and getting stronger through years of courtship.
Shelley determined when he went on his mission, to make it her mission too.
She said, " He REALLY WAS on his mission...I didn't get near enough romantic letters!:) ...but I determined to make myself grow spiritually along with him... so he would want me when he got home."
- She accomplished it! and SOON after he got home, they got married in the Salt Lake Temple. (side note: Shelley crocheted several baby blankets and sent them to him on his mission, for him to give to little babies there) She was 100% support.
- In high school, Jordan lifted (squatted?) 500 pounds. Peers marveled and cheered him on. He was a goal setter who could do“ hard things.”
- Jordan liked to win. He was competitive. Sometimes everyday things even became a competition, like, "How many pizzas could you could eat?" Hard to beat, eh, Andy?
-Jordan loved many sports. He received the Sportsmanship Award in High school Baseball. He played to win, but kept the balance. (Because so many of his high school baseball buddies were there today, he must have been a great leader among them.) He was well-respected among his peers...then and now.
-Several times mentioned today: “Jordan never complained. Even if he didn't like something, he just got in there and "got 'er done." He had a superb self-discipline, work ethic.
-Written in his missionary journal, (at end of mission): "Whatever Heavenly Father has in store for me next, I will do it. I know my Heavenly Father loves me."
Things I loved about what Shelley said:
- "I wanted to talk today because I wanted to brag about my husband. He brought happiness to me every single day. I am so thankful I could be married to him. I am so thankful for the 3 beautiful children we had together. I know they will bring me great joy and comfort throughout my life."
- " I also wanted to talk to tell Jordan that I will continue to take care of our children and teach them of Christ. I will work to have the Spirit in our home, always."
- A favorite scripture from Shelley and Jordan's "mission". Proverbs 3:5: "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding."
- "Jordan loved to laugh. He and Mason would watch Funniest Home Videos together. One time he laughed so hard, he fell off the couch."
- "There was always something Jordan wanted to learn and do.
- He never missed church. He loved to go.
- He was there for everybody."
- Shelley’s message from Chantel to everybody: "I will miss my Dad. I love him very much and I am sad."
- "I know Jordan loves me and I know we will be together again, someday."
- I have felt uplifted by your prayers. I know that that IS a literal and real thing.
- “ I know Heavenly Father is with me. I am so thankful for all that I have. I know that I will be with my family forever."
Things I learned from the Bishops talk:
* None of us will make it through life without experiencing pain. However, The Lord stands by us through all that we suffer. He will never leave us alone.
- The Lord will never give us more adversity than we can bear, (with His help.)
- John 14: "Peace I leave with you, my peace I leave with you...not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
- "He never flees or fails us."
- Because Jesus Christ walked the thorny path alone, we do not have to. He has given us help: the Atonment, the Holy Ghost, Angels, family on both sides of the veil, the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
- He has promised us..."I will not leave you comfortless."
Yes, today was a sad day. Yet...a good day and a day filled with the Spirit, of hope, a determination to be more kind, to look for the good, love my hubby, motivate myself to "be a little better", treasure each day, laugh! sing! reach out and be a positive influence for others, be happy, know that we are al in the Lords' hand and part of his great Eternal Plan. So… Trust. Have Faith and Be Thankful.
P.S. The music today was out of this world. Our "Hearts WILL go on" and indeed, we felt His love "in that very room."